Origami Whale Adventure

Standard

We have been making origami whales!

We read about the idea of making these whales at the “Origami Whale Project” site – and how they were used to raise awareness of the slaughter of whales internationally. Did you know that since 1986 over 30 000 whales have been killed by whalers from Iceland, Norway and Japan? 

Everyone folded the paper carefully and we strung the whales up on string to make a curtain of beautiful coloured whales in our room.

You can all make a virtual origami whale and send it off to the Japanese Prime Minister – just click here and off it goes!

11 thoughts on “Origami Whale Adventure

1. Lilly

Hi Mrs.P and Allstars,
    those whales are amazing and they are really easy to make. 😆
    Our table made 88 whales,WOW

Bye,Bye Lilly ❗

2. Hi AllStars & Mrs P,
    Those were really cool and fun to make! 😆
    😎

I didn’t know that Iceland and Norway also contributed to the whaling 😕

Virtual whales are MAD! It’s so cool to make an origami whale virtually ❗

We made approximately 210 whales! 😯
    I think we certainly contributed to the STOP WHALING campaign.

Talking of STOP WHALING campaigns, Nadine & Stephie have a STOP WHALING wiki as you can read in an earlier post. And if any of you want to join their STOP WHALING campaign just tell Nadine by commentting on her blog.

The folding and drawing was fun and really amazing.

Naomi :mrgreen:

P.S. I hope the WHALING STOPS soon as whaling is a very sad case 😥

3. The origami whales look fantastic. How many did you make? From the photos it looks like there are hundreds of them. I will have to come and have a look and bring the Bright Sparks with me. They were very impressed with your classroom when they visited in Education Week.
    Mrs J.

4. Making the origami taught me how to make them, AND made me feel joyful and proud that we are doing this for the whales!! I had a great time and thought all the tables worked hard together to create many Whales.
    They look SO AWESOME!!! 🙂
    I have to say, i am ashamed of Norway and Iceland for contributing in the whaling, just like Naomi said, makes it WORSE!!! 🙁
    30,000 whales are alot to kill, poor things!! Hope they stop NOW!!! Such a shock, they are almost extinct too!!! The pictures look so incredible, nice job we’ve done!!! And you know, having those whales in class makes me feel as if i am swimming with them! 😛

5. Clement

Hey Allstars,

I think this is a great idea especially the site you provided for us so that we can send a whale to Japan’s prime minister. I made 2 myself, I hope this can really help the whales. 🙂

Hello Clement – it’s great to hear from you! Thanks for doing your bit to help the whales 🙂
    PS How’s High School – what subjects have you elected to do? What activities are you up to?
    Take care and call again!
    MrsP

6. Hi Miss P, those origami whales look fabulous in your room!!!! I know how to make them off by hard, Plus we have some origamis in our class too!!
    Bye!

Norma

7. Hi Mrs P & AllStars,
    Thanks for the comment Mrs P! On the Website column on my blog you wrote learnerblogs, do we have a learnerblogs?

There are also 2 comments from Mikky & Carronshore!

Naomi :mrgreen:

8. Hello Cooper and Cameron – thanks for your comments. Real whales are even more beautiful than paper ones!

L Lewis, thanks for your comment! 🙂
    AllStars