Reading Circles

Standard

We have been reading some interesting books in “Reading Circles” this term. Mrs P brought in a selection of books and we put our names on the books we would like to read first.

Here are the books we could choose from:

Each group meets every one or two weeks and decides how many pages or chapters they will read before the next Reading Circle Meeting.

While the group is reading their book, they keep an eye out for interesting or tricky or difficult or unknown words. These words are written down and their meanings are found.

When we have finished reading the chapters we write a brief summary, and make up 2 or 3 open-ended questions to discuss at the Reading Circle Meeting.

Here are some interesting questions we discussed today:

The “Dealing With Dragons” group discussed the question –

“What personality do you think dragons have?”

This is what they thought

•  They are selfish because they only think of themselves
  •  Bossy – telling people what to do.

What do you think?

The “Boy Overboard” group discussed –

“Why is a new type of landmine not a good invention?”

This is what they thought:

•  ALL landmines are dangerous – new ones are not better
  •  A new land mine will kill more people

What do you think?

6 thoughts on “Reading Circles

1. Ben

Hey guys!

Its me ben from Allstars..
    I have been checking out and looking at our blog lately, so far its going pretty good, well for reading groups i am reading Dealing with dragons. it s a cool Narrative book and a lot of fun to experience and yea..

well i have to say keep up the good work Guys!
    Thank you.

2. Hi AllStars and Mrs P,
    Readind Circles are great and I’m doing: “Journey of 1000 Miles”. 🙂

Well for the dragons question I guess it depends on that dragon, I mean that it’s like they are people. They are different dragons like we are different people. All people can’t be called talkative because 1 person that everyone knows about is talkative. You can’t sum up all personalities in 1 dragon. 😕

For the landmines question I say that all are dangerous but new ones are not any more helpful. I guess they are okay because we need some! 😛

Reading Circles Rule ❗
    Naomi :mrgreen:

3. Ben,
    I’m glad that you are enjoying reading the book “Dealing with Dragons”. What sort of personalities do you think dragons have?

Naomi,
    I agree with your comment – i think dragons would have individual personalities. In my favourite dragon story “Dragonkeeper” by Carole Wilkinson, the dragons all have very different personalities. The baby dragons are playful and naughty, the old dragons are calm and wise.

MrsP

4. Ben

Well, basically i also agree with naomi,
    dragons actually do have individual personalities because how they re act and how do stuff etc.

5. Hi,
    I am really enjoying reading Nips 11. I think that some dragons think that they are boss when sometimes they are the youngest but sometimes they have to make tricky decisions to save everyone else.Once I read in a book a dragon gave himself up to a man and got killed so his family wouldn’t die and he was the youngest one. Im not sure what is going on in the book but by the looks of the cover the dragon does look a bit bossy but I think he also looks angry. The girl that is standing next to him looks more bossy and picky than he does. I hope that the people in the group that are reading it are enjoying the book!
    Toooooooooooodles 😀