We celebrated Book Week with a Make It Challenge in the Library.
Students were asked to “Connect to Reading” by creating a model of some sort of a book they were reading.
We had lots of very creative entries – people used lego, boxes, wood, minecraft, glitter jewels, drawings and pipe cleaners to construct a model. Lots of interesting connections to stories and reading
Have a look at the entries below:
Leave a comment about your favourite entry in the comment section.
This week Stage 3 students were introduced to better search techniques to use when they are searching the internet for information.
Below is a You Tube clip that mentions a number of the strategies we used this week.
Why not watch it and then practise your searching techniques online?
Stage 2 and 3 Jade will be making book trailers this term.
To help us think about what we are wanting to produce I found this Prezi about Storyboarding.
Please watch it so that we can make the best Book Trailers ever!
Watch this anti-smoking video:
How effective do you think it is?
Why is it effective?
Any other comments?
This episode of Behind the News looks at smoking and the ways in which governments make laws to protect people.
What do you think about smoking?
Should governments ban smoking?
What evidence do you have to support your views?
Look carefully at this KIDS FACT SHEET for important information about smoking.
Today Year 3 students watched a You Tube clip that showed and told them how to make a ninja star. Here are some of the interesting things they noticed about this text:
- it was an instructional text – it showed you how to make something
- it was a type of procedure, with steps to follow
- you had to listen to the words as well as watch the pictures
- the video was really helpful to watch as if you couldn’t understand a part you could watch and see what to do next
- the video supported the words, you could watch the video over and over at each part – to see how the narrator was actually moving the papers and making the folds
- the photos inbooks are static (they stay still) the video showed the movements to make with the folding
- the spoken words + the written words + the video worked together to make sure we could actually make our ninja stars!
Here is the clip we watched:
And here are our finished ninja stars
Stage 3 students will be investigating drug education this term.
Have a look at some of these websites during this session and come up with some areas of interest, that you may want to explore further.
It’s A fact! – You Tube video you will ahve to watch at home
Here are some links for Stage 3 to use as they explore the issues around Road Safety and Schools.
Use these sites to get a “big picture” view of real world statistics and information from these government websites.
What you find out from these sites will help you come up with answers for the next part of our explorartion!
Did you find any shocking, worrying, or surprising information? Let us know what you think in the comments.