What do you think? HISTORY

Standard

The AllStars have been studying history this year and are pondering the saying

“History never repeats”

Read this article about Stonehenge and then leave a comment about what you think!

stonehenge.jpg      stonehenge-2.jpg

😕 

What were you thinking about as you read this article?

What surprised you about this article? Why were you surprised?

What sorts of images or feelings did the article stimulate?

Why do you think scientists are so interested in finding out how people lived in times past?

Does the information that the scientists gather have any impact on our lives today? 

Do you think that a shared knowledge & understanding of times past can / does help us understand problems and issues of today?

🙂

37 thoughts on “What do you think? HISTORY

1. I was surprised about their population and when they were first built!I had thought that stonehenges were built about 200 years ago!
    I think that scientists like to learn about the past to tell everyone else and discover how people of the past lived. They probably wanted to compare the differences between modern life styles and past lifestyles.
    Bye! :mrgreen: 🙂

Nadine, thanks for your comments, I agree with you, it’s hard to comprehend how old Stonehenge is, and that people built it such a long time ago, yet we can see and visit it today. Gets you wondering exactly what it was for. Mrs D and I bought some books when we were there – look for them in the green basket at school 🙂
    MrsP

2. Hi :mrgreen:
    I was really surprised when Stonehenges was built! I agree with Nadine, I thought it was only built 200 years ago. I think scientists are so interested in finding out how people lived in the past to compare how people live now.
    Bye 🙂

3. I thought that the stonehenge was built to hold a ceremony for the moon. I never knew how that, there was a village near by. I thought that the stones that were used to make the stone henge were carried from vast distances, at least that’s what I read. I agree with Nadine I think scienctist want to find about the past is because they want to compare the lifestyles.

4. Wow Stonehenge is so mysterious!

When I was reading the article I was thinking about a Terry Deary book (horibile historys) that had a chapter on Stonehenge.

I was surprised that Researchers think that they think they have found the makers of Stonehenge and I would love to find out more!

When I was reading the text I thought of researchers excavating a small village in a grassy plain.

I am going to have to agree with Nadine with that question. I to think that they probably wanted to compare the differences between our life styles and their’s.

That is a tricky one but I think yes because (now this n’t likely but posibble)some sites might have powers or something.

Yilmaz 😉

Yilmaz, how was this article different to the Horrible Histories story that you read? How did Terry Deary explain how Stonehenge was built? Who do you think built it?
    MrsP

5. I was also surprised about the population as well.
    I have actually seen a stone hedge but not this one, because i’ve seen one in TONGA. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
    I’m surprised that how long Stonehenge is. 🙂
    i thought that Stonehenge was built in AUSTRALIA. 😎

Kesaia, what surprised you the most about the population?
    I didn’t know that there was a Stonehenge structure in Tonga – do you have any pictures?
    MrsP

6. I was really suprised about how long ago the the houses around the stonehedge was built.I never thought that houses from the B.C times would survive until this day.
    I really want to know when it was discovered and who made it.

I would also like to know how many people it took to build and how long it took to build.

I think it would have probably took couple of years to build.

Momtahina, it is amazing the things that survive from ancient times to now isn’t it?
    I think that it is a wonder that Stonehenge has survived at all.
    There are some interesting stories about how Stonehenge was built and who built it. Look in the green basket @ school 🙂
    MrsP

7. Hello,
    I am going to answer these questions.
    I was thinking that it was very interesting and that the villagers might have made the Stonehenge but if they did it would be fascinating.
    I was surprised because I thought the Stonehenge was built about 400 years ago.
    I think scientist were glad to find things about the past so people know how people from the past lived and humans could learn from them.
    Yes, because we could learn things the way people from the past used to do.

Sharon 🙂

Sharon, what sorts of theings do you think that we could learn from the Stonehenge villagers?
    Hmmmmmm….. tricky!
    MrsP

8. Hey, :mrgreen:
    I never knew that stonehenge was built that long ago. I think it is important to learn how people lived before and how they dealt with their problems and maybe we can use their solutions to help us in our day to day lives. 😆
    It was also fascinating to learn that people (who barely had anything to help them with e.g. electronic tools) could build something this big, is really amazing. 😀
    When I was reading this article I felt that we could learn lots of things from people in history and that we can benefit from the things that scientists are continuely discovering. This would have a big impact on our lives, the Stonehenge is a perfect example of this.

Thanks for commenting Ramiz 🙂
    I wonder what tools the people who built Stonehenge used – some people beleive that Stonehenge has magical properties – wht do you think?
    MrsP

9. WOW! I didn’t know that Stonehenge was used as houses.I also didn’t know that it was a cemetary i found that soooo amazing! Why was Stonehedge so important? (Mrs P could you answer that for me 🙂 It’s truly amazing that so many scientists are paying so much attention to this piece of land.

Mikhaila 😉

10. Hi,I always thought Stone Henges were magical or something like that. Anyway, like everyone else,I think scientists are just studyng these ancient & little buildings because they are curious about how they were different to how we live now. :8-|:

I am not really sure if Stone Henges were built 200 years ago. I think they were built more than 200 years ago. well, maybe scientists could be the only way to solve when they were built and will also solve the mysteries.

11. I never knew that Stonehenge was a memorial site or a cemetery for the villagers, I always thought it was made by aliens 😳 But it’s seens I was wrong. 😳
    I was suprised that there is a wooden Stonhenge in a village, It suprised me because I didn’t think that the villagers would have such dedication to a piece of art so original as Stonhenge.

12. arena

I never know that Stonehenge was big and i want to know why it is so big. I have never seen it before. 😎
    Arena 😳 😆 :mrgreen: 😉 🙂 😀 😎 ?

Thanks Arena for your comment. You are correct – Stonehenge stones are very big, they tower up into the sky.
    MrsP

13. Hello everybody,
    I think the Stonehenge are very weird. I was surprised to see old things. Stonehenge didnt have any toys, electronics and houses. Scientists want to find out things about Stonehenge because there are lots of ancient things to find out.

Stonehenge is very different about us because we have electronics,games,paper and clothes.

Bye 🙂 😀

Matthew, there were houses near Stonehenge and I’m sure that the children of the time had some sort of toys to play with. But you are correct in saying that they didn’t have electronics.
    MrsP

14. Hi!
    I thought it was very mysterious. The Stonehenge is very old and has been standing for a very long time. Well, you see it has been standing for a long time but why is it still uncovered?
    It’s a very intresting website! I never knew eight of the houses have been excavated, or dug up. So did they used to live underground? I was very surprised because how could they stack big stones without cranes. I wonder who built it?
    😕
    So people sort of used the same weapons for quite a long time.
    Please answer my questions and also great questions!
    😆
    Can you please give me some more information about it? It might be more interesting.

Thanks for your thoughts Celia.
    Yes, Stonehenge IS very mysterious – probably because no-one really knows everything about it. I don’t think that the houses were built under the ground. I imagine that they have been covered over with plants and soil over time 🙂
    We have some books with more info at school!
    MrsP
    Thanks for the post!
    🙂
    Celia

15. Hello MrsP,
    I don’t really think that Stonehenge really has “magical powers”, but it is a mysterious monument, because some of the myths and legends of the Stonehenge cannot be explained which also leads to the possibility that “aliens” put the rocks there but I think that is just absurd (that’s just my opinion). :mrgreen: 😆

Ramiz 😎

Ramiz, I agree that Stonehenge is mysterious – but aliens? no way 😆
    Do you think it might have some religious significance to the people that built it?
    This might be where the mystery comes in (leading to aliens?) because some things are difficult to explain.
    MrsP

16. Hello wow i cant believe i am talking to Australia! Wow i got a comment from you a couple of days a go! Thanks i hope you can come to my blog too again 🙂 Oh and also we are learning about Australia too 🙂 In art we are making pics of australian animals i made a koala and then we learned a bit about wars then we visited all different schools on the blog! Hope ill talk to you again

Hi Maryam – glad you are blogging @ Carronshore.
    We will be working with your class again I’m sure 🙂
    Blogging is amazing – learning about realpeople in many different countries.
    Keep on blogging 😆

17. Hey,
    I think that the Stonehenge might have been like a sort of temple that the people used to pray to.
    But I am still baffled by the fact that they (the villagers) would build something this big for a religous reason.
    I think this is why some people believe that “aliens” put the rocks there because they don’t believe that the villagers would built something as big as this, and there is also the fact that, how could something like the Stonehenge be built by such primitive people with limited tools. 😕
    This might also be the reason why some people believe that aliens put it there.

Ramiz 😎

I also think that Stonehenge was a type of temple or religious place 🙂
    Not only was Stonehenge built by hand, the rocks probably came from a long way away, so had to be transported there as well!
    MrsP

18. Hi,
    While I was reading this article I was thinking about……
    * How it would be to be a reasercher uncovering “Stonehenge”
    * What “Stonehenge” was used for?
    * How did it get there?
    I’m sure if I was a reasercher I would be astonished.
    I wonder if it might have been a temple or church in that time? I hope that no aliens formed it to show that they exist. 😮

I was pretty surprise at…..
    * How much was discovered
    * How small the houses were
    I found that how much they discovered was interesting because that there I haven’t learnt much about “Stonehenge”, it was really interesting to see all the stone uncovered in the same area. The size of the houses surprised me because the houses these days are much bigger, the houses back then would have been about the size of a living room these days. 😎

The article made the idea or image of…..
    * The differnce between now and then
    * The image of how it would be to live in that time
    * How buildings are really different
    I can imagine that now we would have phones and computers to communicate but back then you would have to visit the person or write a letter to them. 😐
    The image of living then would be people playing old games and there was probably no such thing as technology. The buildings back then would be hand made and you would have to lift every block/stone/brick one by one to make the building, whereas now we can use machines.

I think scientists are interested in the past because…..
    * They want to find out more about how people lives were back then
    * How we have changed since then
    I think scientists are interested in the past and the lives of people back then so they can see how our lives have changed and what we can do to live without alot of technology. 🙂
    Naomi 😛

WOW thank you for thinking so hard about this Naomi – I have to agree with what you said in your comment – I also imagine the people living and playing and working in the houses, doing everything by hand. Time would have moved more slowly I think, but there would probably be more to do because you had to do everything yourself – no microwaving dinner at night or going up to the shops for a take-away 😆
    MrsP

19. Hello,
    I’ll continue Mrs P.

The information scientists have found impacts on our lives today because…..
    * We know how they lived
    * We can compare the enviroment’s health
    If we know how they lived back then it will help us to see if the enviroment was better then or now. Then we might be able to stop global warming. 😆

The information scientists collect helps us learn because…..
    * We can learn from the mistakes they made back then
    * We can help the poor and needy so they don’t suffer
    * So we know other ways to do things
    I think that if we learn from the mistakes made back in time then we can make so there are no wars, sufferage, etc. We can also do things other ways that are good for the enviroment and help keep the air unpolluted. 😉
    Naomi 😛

Welcome back Naomi!
    You have thought of a very positive way to use what we know about the past to improve how we do things today 💡
    So you think we can learn from history – to improve, to make better – great ideas.
    Thank you :mrgreen:

20. sokeina

Hi,
    When I was reading this article I was thinking of how they built Stonehenge, becuase back then they didn’t have machines like we do now.
    I was suprised by how they found the village. I was suprised becuase they found it during these years but how and why didn’t theey find it back then?
    To me the article stimulated an image of how the village might look like.To see the differencess of how they used to live then and the things that have changed since that time.
    The information that the scientists gathered has impacted on our lives, because if you imagine yourself back there in those times you will be really bored. If we didn’t have the technology that we had today we will be like the people back then.
    I think it does help us solve issues today becuase they would have thought of solutions back then but we wouldn’t have thought of them today.
    Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodles 🙂 :mrgreen: 😉 😛 💡 😆 😎 😮 😕 😐 😀 😳

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic Sokeina. I really hadn’t thought about why scientists only discovered the village now, and not long ago. What were they looking for (if they didn’t know it was there?). Do you think that someone might have found something in the ground, and scientistst thought it looked interesting and dug up the area? Hmmm, interesting! 😯
    MrsP

21. Stonehenge is very interesting! In books, it says that Stonehenge was built by aliens! I wonder if it is true…. Anyway I think that scientists are so interested about the past, so that they can compare with how life is today! They can also find out more things to improve life as it is now. Lots of great inventions can be made by looking in the past. I wonder if we can do something about Stonehenge??? 😕

Sarah, what do you think about the alien idea? Could it be true, how likely do you rate this idea – what are some other possibilities? In what sort of ways could we improve life now, and have we learnt this from the past?
    MrsP

22. Hi Allstars,

I was thinking about how old Stonehenge was as I read the article. I was really surprised when I saw the population. The scientists want to know how the people survived in the past compared to how we live now. It does help our lives today so we can make better inventions.

Clement – what sort of inventions do you mean? I think we can learn from the past by seeing how things were done and how things have evolved and changed along the way 🙂
    MrsP

23. Interesting… :mrgreen:

I would’ve never thought Stonehenge was built that long ago. I thought it wasbuilt in Italy. Scientists must have taken quite some time to find all this interesting information. They take more notice in the past instead of the future. :lol I mean 2600 B.C? Thats incredible. It was once said that aliens built Stonehenge. I wonder if it could possibly be true. People had to slaughter animals for food supplies. How Fascinating! 😉

I wonder how long they have been searching to find Stonehenge. Must have been years of hard work.

Well Bye Byez,
    Timothy 🙄

Timothy, Just to clear something up ….. Stonehenge has always been visible, it is a collection of huge rocks placed in a circle, and visible for miles around. Scientists have recently found a village 2 miles from Stonehenge that they
    thought belonged to the people who built Stonehenge because it is dated from the same time!
    MrsP

24. As I was reading this fascinating article, I thought

* How could it possibly be true?
    * Was Stonehenge actually built that long ago?
    * How long did it take all these marvelous scientists to gather such magnificent information. 😆

As I continued to read, I felt as if I had taken a step back in time. It was miraculous to read such a thrilling article. I wonder who built Stonehenges? I think it was aliens! But it couldn’t possibly be true could it? :mrgreen:

What was the Stonehenge made out of? I was guessing it was made out of rocks and stones.

Timothy. 😎

25. Martin

Heaps of questions were running through my mind such here are some was about how Stonehenge was built?????? 😕 Who built Stonehenge????? How they built it so that it was aligned with the sun?? 😕
    To be continued………………..

26. I was thinking about stonehenge.
    ’cause it is a historickol piece of sesitiy in Scotland. 😆
    But how did it get there?
    Why is it there?

Dalk A 😆

27. I think that sceintist are reasearching so much about it because they might wonder how peaople lived in those days. Also what they eat and drink.Also how they made clothes for them to wear and were they would find food.

SMALLY

28. Hi Allstars. Because I live in Scotland I know that every year people come to Stonehenge and dress up as Druids . Druids clothes are plain white clothes. So when the people are dressed they put on a play.I have not seen it but it looks good on tv.

by Andrew 🙂

29. Hey Nancy,

Thanks for commenting on my blog, my postion in indoor soccer is right attacker.

Our team play in the finals tonight at the YMCA, we are playing “The Red Devils”.

My team is called “The A team”.

We lost last weeks game 4-3, it was a really tough game. i’ll be sure to come back and send a picture to you.

Callum. 😛

30. laura

hey there its laura from carronshore primary thanks for comming to vist our blog. we are doing our topic on australia and its very intresting hoe you can come and visit our blog again

31. Emma (bellaireps)

Hi,
    My name is Emma F from Bellaire Primary School. I really really like this blog. I think you have really good posts and I wish my Clustr Map was like that too. Keep up the great work.
    Emma F 🙂 😛 😀 😉 😆 🙄 😕 :mrgreen:

P.S Come and see my blog at: (emmflebps.globalstudent.org.au)

Hello Emma,
    Glad that you like our blog – we work hard to share our work 🙂
    We will visit your blog and see what you are getting up to as well 😆

32. from Mrs.S at Carronshore Primary, Scotland

Doesn’t Stonehenge sound ancient! It really makes you wonder how people managed to survive then. Do you have anything as old in Australia? Let us know!

Yes Stonehenge is very old, and it is interesting to realize that the people who built it probably lived in houses like we do today. The Aboriginal culture in Australia goes back 40 – 60 thousand years, and there are cave paintings, burial sites and artefacts from these times as well.

33. Nancy

Stonehenge is mysterious, but it is hard to believe that it is made by aliens, (who came up with THAT). At first, I thought that Stonehenge was a bit weird, but – It was built THAT long ago? – How was it built?
    What is the reason that it was built? It is hard to believe that it was built by aliens and I’m doubting that something that would seem that hard to be built would be used as a cemetery (though there is a chance that it IS a cemetery)
    If it WAS a cemetery, why would there be a wooden version of it? Stonehenge is just mysterious, but in my opinion, it is BEYOND mysterious….