By Gavin

Standard

coal miners

KABOOM!!!! The loudest explosion I have ever heard.

I could hear people groaning, people about to die. I decided to stand, but I couldn’t. When the explosion went off a rock went flying and hit my leg. Then all of a sudden it went dark – just like that! People were screaming and I could hear everyone’s echo. Thunderously a pile of rocks went tumbling down the mine shaft. I thought they were going to hit me, but it was just the echo.

The atmosphere was dusty and I could hardly breathe. Suddenly holes of light started poking out of the wall and I started to breathe again. Meanwhile, another explosion went offย  …… no more holes of light.

Struggling to breathe, I lifted myself off the ground. Staggering along the ground I was almost there when a pile of rocks fell and struck me to the ground again.

Despite having a broken leg and a pile of rocks striking me down, I got up and kept on walking. I made it right to the pile of rocks blocking the exit. I started to push the rocks out of the way to get out. Then they all fell to unblock the exit – I was FREE!

By Gavin

Loading cage with car of coal at+bottom+of+shaft,+Scranton,+Pa.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10799299@N00/480686092

3 thoughts on “By Gavin

1. Charlotte

Dear Gavin,

Gavin, do you realise you have written an amazing story however at the same time the story is a abit sad!You absolutly put in some great WOW words and vocabulary!

Gavin…Keep it up! ๐Ÿ˜€

Happy Regards,
    Charlotte ๐Ÿ˜€